Silicon Tubing A6093 / AE6093 / AES6093
TECNO PLAST provides three different Silicon qualities in its product portfolio. All three qualities exhibit multiple advantageous properties that considerably exceed those of common natural rubber and plastic-derived material types.
- TP RED peroxide-cured with reinforcement (see TP RED)
- A6092 platinum-cured, transparent pharma quality (see A6092)
- AE6093 platinum-cured, transparent pharma quality The production of these tubing is performed by extrusion technology.
The HTV (HTV = high temperature cross-linked) silicon material is brought into the desired shape with the aid of an extruder and a suitable spray washer.
A succeeding post-vulcanization step of at least 4 hours at +200 °C is usually performed in annealing furnaces with a continuous supply of fresh air for the removal of cleavage products.
In general, silicon can be cured by two different methods, ether using peroxides or by an addition reaction = platinum curing.
In contrast to peroxide-cured tubing, platiunum-cured silicon tubing exhibit a particularly high purity. Peroxide-cured silicon tubing is produced by curing of the silicone starting material with 2,4 dichlorobenzoyl peroxide and succeeding tempering to remove potential catalyst-based cleavage products from the end product. However, despite of appropriate tempering, minimum residual amounts of peroxide-originated cleavage products from the catalyst may remain in the tubing and, thus, may migrate from the tubing.
This problem does not apply to platinum-cured tubing. For this reason, primarily platinum-cured tubing has been used in pharmaceutical operations, medicinal techniques as well as in biotechnology.
Advantageous properties that clearly cannot be reached by common natural or other plastic-derived material types:
- Excellent hot air resistance up to +200 °C (special ivory quality up to +300 °C)
- A virtually extremely low variation of properties over a wide temperature range
- Excellent resistance to cold up to -60 °C.
- Highly flexible.
- Excellent resistance to aging and weathering (UV, ozone).
- Good resistance to weak acidic and alkaline solutions.
- Odor and taste neutral.
- Toxicologically harmless.
- Free from plasticizers.
- Physiologically inert.
- Can be sterilized (steam, irradiation).
Specific explanation regarding steam sterilization can be found here.
In addition, further supporting information regarding the subject silicon is provided there:
- Silicon storage conditions and usage durations.
- Silicon resistance list
In addition to silicon tubing without fabric lining, the standard product range also contains reinforced silicon tubing.
Common reinforcements are polyester monofilament (PET), polyester yarn (PET), glass silk or Aramid.
Properties of pressure tubing reinforcements
|Polyester multifilament (PET)
|Up to 160°C
|Polyester monofilament (PET)
|Up to 160°C
|Up to 180°C
|Up to 180°C